Marriott Bonvoy has launched its first ever points sale offering a 25% discount on points purchased via this page. While the old Marriott Rewards program never sold points at a discount, Starwood Preferred Guest (RIP) used to run frequent points sales (which were rather lucrative).
I think Marriott is testing the waters with this sale, a 25% discount is hardly exciting (although I can be useful if you need a small top up or have a redemption in mind – DYOR) and the 50,000 points cap for the calendar year is a bit restrictive.
Since you can transfer Marriott Bonvoy points to your favourite airline program at a rate of 3:1, the cost per airline mile works out at US$0.0225 based on a 60,000 Bonvoy points transfer to an airline program (you receive 20,000 + 5,000 bonus miles when transferring 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points).
Let’s hope this is the start of more points promotions to come from team Bonvoy!
If you are planning a stay at one of the many Marriott branded hotels, don’t forget to register for the current double points promo here.
For those that want to take advantage of this sale, here are the details:
- Transactions must be completed between 9:00 AM ET April 15, 2019 and 11:59 PM ET May 15, 2019 to be eligible for the discount.
- Purchased points do not count towards Marriott Bonvoy Elite status.
- A member may purchase or receive as a gift from another member a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
- Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000.
- Excluding promo periods, purchase rate is 12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points.
- Please allow 24-48 hours for transaction to be completed and points awarded to recipient.
- You must be a member in good standing to both purchase and receive points.
- A new member may purchase points thirty (30) days after enrolment if their Marriott Bonvoy account reflects qualifying activity as described in the Marriott Bonvoy Program Rules. After ninety (90) days from enrolment, a new member is eligible to purchase points regardless of their account activity.
- Once points have been purchased or gifted, no refunds will be permitted.