Considering the amount of time I spend travelling around Asia and Singapore Airlines being my number one crush when it comes to airlines, I felt it would only be appropriate to look into the Singapore Frequent Flyer card scene to see what deals are out there for Singapore based Flight hacks readers.
If you need to get inspired to travel better (and more) in 2019 using what is arguably the best frequent flyer program (Singapore Airlines Kris Flyer); go check out my reviews of the brand new first class suite on the A380, the not so new A380 suites and the new 777 first class (which I highly rate).
If starting out; check out my 787 business class review; it’s one of my favourite ways to get around Asia. Here are a few sign up bonuses that should have your attention and should also allow you go earn those Kris Flyer miles fast! Some of the deals offer great incentives such as no annual fee for the first year, cash back and bonus miles for simply signing up! Let’s have a look…
American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Card
- Earn 5,000 miles on first spend + 7,500 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months after approval, 7,500 bonus miles when you spend a further $3,000 between months 4-6 after card approval
- Earn 3.1 miles per dollar on Grab/Uber payments (up to $200/month), and 2 miles per dollar on Singapore Airlines/Silk Air tickets/Kris Shop
- Earn 1.1 miles per dollar on local spending year round and 2.0 miles per dollar on overseas spending in June and December only.
The Amex KrisFlyer card is fantastic; you will be earning at least 1.1 KrisFlyer points per S$1 on eligible purchases. That’s more than most cards in Australia! (*sigh*)When spending directly with Singapore Airlines, you will earn 2 KrisFlyer miles per dollar spent; KrisShop and Silk Air purchases included.
But wait there is more…
When spending with Grab, you will be earning 3.1 KrisFlyer miles per dollar (limited to S$200 per calendar month) and a 500 points bonus for your first GrabPay transaction in Singapore.
When you sign up via this link, you will get the first year annual fee waived but if that’s not enough, you’ll also receive an S$150 Singapore Airlines voucher and a bonus of 15,000 KrisFlyer points if you spend a minimum of S$6,000 in the first 6 months (note that the first S$3,000 needs to be spent in the first 3 months after approval).
These bonuses apply to all successful applicants, but if this is your first co-branded Amex card, you will also get a 5,000 KrisFlyer miles welcome bonus after your first transaction. That’s a total of 20,000 KrisFlyer miles; enough to fly to most Asian destinations in business class!
Bonus: when you apply via this link and pre-fill at least 50% of the application form with SingPass MyInfo you will also receive a S$20 Capita Voucher on your first spend
American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Ascend Card
- Earn 5,000 miles on first spend + 15,000 bonus miles when you spend $6,000 within the first 3 months after approval, 15,000 bonus when you spend a further $6,000 between months 4-6 after approval.
- Earn 1.2 miles per dollar on local spending year round and 2 miles per dollar on overseas spending in June and December.
- Receive 4 lounge access vouchers for SATS and Plaza Premium Lounges worldwide, one complimentary hotel night with Hilton Hotels and Hilton Silver status. Also,
- Get KrisFlyer Elite Gold status with S$15,000 spent on SQ tickets within 12 months of card approval.
If 1.1 KrisFlyer miles per dollar is too low for you; no problem! Introducing the Amex Ascend KrisFlyer card! This card offers a 1.2 KrisFlyer miles per dollar earn rate on eligible purchases which is boosted to 2KF per dollar on Singapore Airlines, Silk Air and KrisShop purchases.
If you use your card for Grab rides, you will earn a boosted 3.2 KrisFlyer miles per dollar up to S$200 per month and 500 KrisFlyer points on your first GrabPay transaction in Singapore.Unfortunately, the annual fee (S$337) isn’t waived for this card, BUT when you apply via this link, you will also get a double KrisFlyer miles accrual voucher and accelerated upgrade to KrisFlyer Gold status.
Being a premium card, the Amex Ascend also comes with complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status as well as 1 complimentary night each year! (incredible value when used at expensive hotels such as Conrad Maldives etc.).
If lounge access is your thing, the Amex KrisFlyer Ascend card also comes with 4 entries into the SATS Premier Lounge each year, or you can access the Plaza Premium Lounge network internationally.
This card also comes with a sign-up bonus of 30,000 Kris Flyer miles; the only catch is that you need to spend S$12,000 over the next 6 months (from your card activation date) with S$6k of this amount required in the first 3 months.
Spending S$2,000 per month is very achievable for most if you simply divert all your everyday expenses to this card. This will net you a grand total of 44,400 KrisFlyer points (excluding any bonus points you may have earned!). That’s almost enough for a first class flight to Hong Kong!If this is your first co-branded KrisFlyer Amex card, you will also be eligible for a 5,000 KrisFlyer miles welcome bonus after your first transaction on the card.
Bonus: when you apply via this link and pre-fill at least 50% of the application form with SingPass MyInfo you will also receive a S$50 Capita Voucher on your first spend
Citi Premier Miles Visa Card
- For applications approved by 31 January 2019, earn 30,000 miles when you spend $7,500 in the first 3 months and pay the annual fee of S$192.6.
- Earn 1.2 miles per dollar on local spending, 2 miles per dollar on overseas spending, 3 miles per dollar on Expedia, 7 miles per dollar on Agoda and 10 miles per dollar on Kaligo.
- The biggest selection of partner airlines in Singapore- choose from KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Thai, EVA, Garuda, Malaysia Airlines, British Airways, Air France, Turkish Airlines, and KLM.
The Citi PremierMiles Visa is a no-brainer card. Not only does it earn 1.2 Citi Miles per dollar on local transactions and 2 miles per dollar internationally (1 Citi Mile = 1 Frequent Flyer mile when transferred to KrisFlyer, Asia Miles, Qantas Frequent Flyer etc.), right now this card also comes with a sign-up bonus of 30,000 Citi Miles. In addition to this, Citi Premier Miles also gives you 10,000 miles each year you keep the card. This helps offset the annual fee which is only $192.6. In addition to these perks you will also get 2 Priority Pass lounges passes each year which can be used worldwide.
Cash Back Cards
Are you not really into the frequent flyer game (you should be!)? There’s good news for you too! There are some excellent cash back cards out there, and right now some are enticing new customers with bonus cash offers and even suitcases!
HSBC Advance Credit Card
The HSBC Advance card is a straightforward cash back credit card; the first year annual fee is waived. There is no minimum spend required to be eligible for the cashback. Cardholders can earn either 1.5% cash rebate for monthly spendings below SG$2,000 or 2.5% cash rebate for monthly spendings above SG$2,000. HSBC Advance banking customers can get an additional 1% flat rate cash rebate.
Take note that the cashback is capped at SG$70 for non-HSBC Advance customers, and SG$125 for HSBC Advance customers, per calendar month.
Right now there’s also a bonus of either S$100 cash back when you sign up via this link or the choice of a Samsonite Astra 55cm cabin luggage. The catch is that you will need to spend at least S$600 in the first month after card approval. On top of this, card members will receive 5% cashback on contactless payments.