This deal pops up from time to time, and it’s one of the easiest ways you can boost your points balance!
Right now and until October 4 you can earn 5,000 bonus points when you add an additional cardholder to your American Express account.
Of course, it’s free to add supplementary card members to your account, and the only “gotcha” is the $500 spend requirement which needs to be completed before October 31, 2019.
Usually, these offers are delivered via a pop-up message when you log in to your Amex account on your desktop (never seen it in the mobile app). This time, however, I also received an email with the bonus points details.
How to add an extra cardholder?
Unlike some banks who only let you add supplementary cardholders via a paper form which needs to be submitted in a branch, Amex is with the times.
The whole process takes a minute and can be done online when you’re logged into your Amex account. Click the link in the email or the pop-up.
Alternatively, follow these simple steps:
- Login in to your Amex account
- Click on the “My Account” tab
- Click the “add someone to your account” menu
- Chose the card you would like to add
- Complete the form and press submit
Is there a credit enquiry?
No! Since this is a supplementary card under your account, there are no credit checks on the person you’re adding. The only info required is Name, DOB, email, phone and mailing address.
Is this available for all cards?
Most likely, yes! I received the offer for my Platinum Reserve, Platinum Edge, Platinum Charge and Explorer cards. Of course, people with a direct earning card such as the Amex Qantas Ultimate (now with 100k sign up bonus!) get a better deal since the points convert 1:1 to the airline of your choice. On the flip side, those like me who earn Membership Rewards will only get 2,500 airline miles since that’s what 5,000 points are worth.
Did you get the offer on a different card? Let me know in the comments!
Note: usually there’s some “disconnect” between the Amex marketing team who put out these deals and the call centre in the Philippines so don’t be surprised when you call up and the agent denies the existence of such a deal. Most likely they will get the memo a few days later.
- The Primary Card Member will receive 5,000 Bonus Points when they apply for an Additional Card by 4 October 2019, and the Additional Card Member spends $500 on eligible purchases by the 31st October 2019 . This offer is limited to the first approved Additional Card. Eligible purchases do not include cash advances, interest, balance transfers, fees and charges for travellers cheques and foreign currencies. 5,000 Bonus Points will be awarded to the Primary Card Member’s Account 8 – 10 weeks after the offer ends (31 October 2019). This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.
- Additional Cards. Additional Card Members must be 16 years of age or over. Additional Card Members were previously referred to as “Supplementary Card Members”. The basic Card Member will be liable to pay for all transactions made by Additional Card Members.