Are you looking for a Visa credit card that still earns 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer point per dollar? The HSBC Platinum Qantas credit card might be the one you’re looking for! HSBC Qantas Platinum is competitively priced with a $199 annual fee and with a generous 60,000 Qantas points bonus when you sign up and meet the minimum required spend of $3000 within 3 months of approval.
HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
- Program: Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Points Earn Rate: Earn 1 Qantas point per dollar spent, up to $2,500 every month. Every $1 spent thereafter will earn 0.5 Qantas points. This is capped at $7,500 per statement period.
- Overseas transaction fee: 3% of the amount converted back into Australian dollars
- Bonus: Earn 1 additional bonus point per dollar when spending with Qantas.
- Insurance: Purchase protection, extended warranty, domestic and international travel insurance (Please check the PDS)
- Minimum income requirement: $40,000 p.a.
- Minimum credit limit: $6,000
- Supplementary cardholder fee: $0
- Annual fee: $199
- How to apply? Use this link to get the 60,000 Bonus points (mobile friendly)
60,000 Bonus Points (limited time offer)
If you’re planning to take advantage of the 60,000 bonus offer, you will need to apply before 30 June 2018 and spend $3000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months. What exactly are eligible purchases you may ask? It’s pretty much anything with a few obvious exclusions, those are: interest-free and other promotions, balance transfers, cash transfer, business expenses, cash advances, fees and charges, disputed transactions, BPAY and any government fees or charges.
Talking about balance transfers…
HSBC has a nice balance transfer promotion on this card which is 0% for 12 months, and there are no transfer fees associated with this. If you’re financially savvy, this is a great way to free up some cash for a 12 month period. Of course, there are conditions so make sure you’re familiar with those and check out the details here.
Limited Time Point Boost Promo – Get 20% Extra
Until the end of December 2017 HSBC is running a points boost promotion for the Platinum Qantas card. This will see your point per dollar earn rate jump to 1.2 thanks to a generous 20% increase in points earned on everyday spend. On top of that, you will also earn 1 bonus point when you purchase any Qantas flights. To start boosting your points, you will need to register.
All you need to do is SMS the last 4 digits of your credit card to 0447 174 641 using your HSBC registered mobile number.
What are the requirements to get HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card?
As per usual with frequent flyer credit cards, there are a few requirements you will need to meet to be eligible. These are:
- Minimum annual income: $40,000 before taxes
- Minimum age: 18 years
- 60k Bonus requirements: 60,000 Qantas Points offer is available to new HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card holders who spend $3,000 on eligible purchases within 3 months of account opening. Your account must be current, in good order and not in arrears.
Points will ordinarily be credited within 8 weeks of making the required spend on eligible purchases. Existing HSBC customers transferring from another HSBC credit card or customers who have held an HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card within the last 18 months or HSBC Premier World Mastercard or HSBC Staff are ineligible for this offer.
HSBC Platinum Qantas Card Benefits
The Qantas HSBC platinum card has many great benefits which you will gain access to simply by holding the card. Some noteworthy perks are:
- HSBC Instant Savings – As part of your HSBC Credit Card benefits and features you have been provided complimentary access to the Frequent Values app. The Frequent Values program is run by the same company behind the Entertainment book and comes with the following benefits:
- Featuring over 4,500 valuable offers to choose from, as a Frequent Values™ member you can:
- Enjoy 20% off your total bill, up to a maximum deduction of $25, dine at over 1,900 participating restaurants just by presenting your Frequent Values™ Card.
- Save up to 50% off the rack rate or 10% off the best promotional rate at leading hotels, motels and resorts. Please refer to the Rules of Use for all hotel offers.
- Print out vouchers online to enjoy great savings from leading national attractions, local activities, popular takeaway outlets and more.
- Enjoy savings on magazine subscriptions, floral arrangements, gift baskets, travel insurance, dry cleaning and much more, just by being a member. You can check out the full program details here: https://www.frequent-values.com.au/default.aspx
There’s also the HSBC Home&Away program which offers a range of discount codes and promotions for anything from travel to shopping so it might be worth it to keep an eye on the Home&Away page to see if there are any useful offers for you. https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/credit-cards/home-away
Earning Points with the HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card
The 1 point per dollar earning cards are becoming a rare breed as they face extinction at the hands of the RBA…
There are only a few left, and luckily the HSBC Platinum Qantas credit card is one of them. High spenders, however, would be better off looking at uncapped Visa cards such as the St George Signature Visa but for most people, $2500 spend on Visa is most likely sufficient. Especially if you already hold a great American Express card which naturally earns more points. Thanks to the generous sign-up bonus of 60,000 Qantas points, it’s a deal worth considering.
HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit Card Insurance
I always recommend you evaluate insurance policies for yourself by reading the product disclosure statement, I know it’s boring, but it can save you a lot of money if you get it right! So grab a coffee, sit back, relax and check out the full HSBC Platinum Qantas credit card PDS here.
In general the HSBC insurance rules state you need to spend a minimum of 90% of the total cost of your return ticket to the HSBC Platinum credit card before leaving Australia, this is valid for a maximum of 4 consecutive months. However the card fails at covering tickets booked with frequent flyer points (even the ones earned with this card) and provides no cover for such bookings. From November 1st HSBC introduced some cover for domestic traps and domestic car rental which is great.
How to spend your 60,000 Qantas points?
Here at Flight Hacks, we’re firm believers in premium travel (if you haven’t noticed) with the use of frequent flyer points. If you’re already collecting Qantas Frequent Flyer points, this 60,000 might just be enough to push your points balance high enough to redeem that dream trip! If you’re just starting out (this is the perfect card for beginners!), you might be wondering what those 60,000 Qantas points can get you. Here are 3 ideas to get you started!
- Perth to Sydney or Visa Versa In Business
For only 36,000 points one way, you get to enjoy a fantastic business class experience on board a Qantas A330 or if you’re lucky 787. Featuring full lie-flat beds and business lounge access before and after your flight, this is the best way to jet from east to west.
- Brisbane to Tokyo Business Class
Tokyo? Why not! Especially when you get to fly there in business class… For only 60,000 Qantas points you can snap up a seat onboard the Qantas A330-300 featuring flat-bed seats. Once you get there, you will realise economy is just ‘not your thing’.
- Sydney to Christchurch First Class
Whoever said that first class on a 3-hour flight is ‘overkill’ was wrong! Trust me, 3 hours is plenty of time to polish off a bottle of vintage Dom Pérignon, have two serves of caviar and enjoy a leisurely (5 minutes) shower while cruising at 40,000 feet. All this from the comfort of your private suite with automatic doors on board the Emirates A380.
Inspired yet? Make sure you sign up for the HSBC Platinum Qantas card before 30th of June 2018 (Promo has been extended from December 2017) to kickstart your travel goals with 60,000 Qantas points!
HSBC QF Platinum In Conclusion
The key decision maker for me personally when it comes to this card is the sign-up bonus of 60,000 Qantas points. Followed by the fact that this is one of the few cards still earning 1 points per dollar spent. It’s also worth noting the extra benefits that now come with the HSBC QF Platinum credit card such as Entertainment book like savings thanks to the Frequent Values program which could quickly offset the initial annual fee cost. All in all it’s a great card to cover everyday spent were Amex isn’t accepted.