As an avid points collector we love Amex for the increased earn rate, but of course it’s not accepted everywhere. That’s the reality we live, in our quest not to spend in cash. Because let’s face it, cash doesn’t give you frequent flyer points and we need a credit card for every occasion!
St George has come to the rescue with its highest Qantas Frequent Flyer earning card, the Amplify Signature Visa. Can it amplify your Qantas Points balance? The answer is yes!
You can enjoy a bonus of up to 90,000 Qantas points + a 10% birthday points booster.
Let’s have a look at the specifics of the St George Amplify Qantas Signature Visa credit card.
- Special offer: Earn up to 90,000 bonus Qantas points, 60,000 bonus points in the first year when you spend $3,000 on a new card within 90 days of card approval, plus 30,000 bonus points in the second year when you pay the annual card fee.
- Qantas Frequent Flyer membership: For a limited time, enjoy complimentary membership to the Qantas rewards program if you’re not already a member.
- Points earned on purchases (Qantas): Uncapped earning $1 = 0.75 Qantas Points.
- Points earned on purchases (Amplify Rewards): Uncapped earning $1 = 1.5 Amplify Rewards which is worth 0.75 Velocity, KrisFlyer or Enrich points.
- Birthday bonus: Receive a birthday points bonus – 10% of points earned in the previous year.
- Annual fee $279 (1 additional cardholder at no extra cost).
At 0.75 Qantas frequent flyer points per dollar spent and also keeping in mind the 10% boost on your birthday, St George is one of the highest uncapped Qantas Frequent Flyer earning cards on the market right now.
The St George Amplify Signature Visa card gives you the option to either earn points on its flexible Amplify rewards program or directly with Qantas. Both are a great option depending on your preferences since they earn at the same rate of 0.75 frequent flyer points per dollar.
Amplify Rewards Transfer Partners
Some noteworthy transfer partners for the Amplify rewards program include:
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles.
- Virgin Velocity frequent flyer.
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich miles.
A handy tool to calculate how many frequent flyer points you will get for your Altitude Rewards can be found here.
Earning Points On ATO Payments
Do you like paying the ATO with your credit card? (well, ok we realise that no one likes paying tax but…) You’re in luck with St George’s Amplify Visa Signature which allows full and uncapped points earning at the ATO. Without factoring in the birthday bonus of 10%, you will be paying 0.77c per point when paying your taxes with the St George Signature Visa card. If you consider the added 10% each year, it’s not a bad rate at all!
What’s The Birthday Bonus All About?
Unique to the St George Amplify Signature Visa is the 10% birthday bonus on all points you have earned over a 12 month period leading up to your birthday. St George is cleverly using this to reward loyalty, and it’s a great reason to hang onto this card for the long run. The bonus points should be credited automatically within 4 weeks after your birthday.
Visa Luxury Hotels Program
St George Amplify Signature Visa comes with access to the Visa Luxury Hotels program which has some nice benefits:
- Best available rate guarantee
- Automatic room upgrade upon arrival (when available)
- 3 pm check-out (when available) at over 900 luxury hotels
- Free in-room Internet
- Complimentary continental breakfast
- VIP Guest status
- US$25 food or beverage voucher.
You can research and book your stay through http://www.visaluxuryhotels.com/ just keep in mind that these aren’t budget hotels but if you’re looking to splash out, it’s a great way to get some additional perks at no extra cost. It’s worthwhile to keep an eye on the Visa Luxury Hotels website as they have special promotions from time to time with offers such as 4th night free or additional discounts. Here’s a direct link to the special offers page: https://www.visaluxuryhotels.com/special-offers
Card holders also get access to the Amplify Signature Travel service which is a dedicated travel concierge with access to special promotions and packages. If you plan to use the Visa Luxury Hotels program, give them a call to see if they have any offers that suit you.
Complimentary Lounge Passes
Both the Qantas and Amplify rewards option offer lounge passes when you sign up. For the Qantas version of this Visa card, you will receive 2 Qantas club lounge invite while on the Amplify rewards card, you receive a Priority Pass membership.
Of course, the Amplify Signature card also comes with a very good travel and extended purchase warranty insurance policy. Some of the included insurances are:
- Complimentary Overseas Travel insurance for up to 6 months
- Complimentary Purchase Cover for up to 4 months
- Extended Warranty Cover for up to 12 months
- Transit Accident insurance
- Selected medical and hospital expenses overseas – unlimited cover (except emergency dental and bed care patient allowance)
- Unexpected cancellation of your travel arrangements and associated expenses – unlimited cover (maximum of AUD 10,000 for a family)
- Up to $500 per person for travel delays.
- Up to $550 per person for loss or damage to travel documents.
- Up to $20,000 per person for accidental loss or damage to eligible personal property
- Up to $5,500 of excess cover for loss or damage of a rental vehicle
Just make sure you check the PDS to figure out for yourself if this type of coverage works for you. You can read all the details here.
If you’re looking for a more entry level Visa card, the St George Amplify Platinum Visa card also offers a generous bonus of up to 60,000 (40k in the first year and 20k in the second year on payment of the annual fee) Qantas or Amplify points for the competitive annual fee of $99
However, keep in mind this card also has a lower earn rate at 0.5 frequent flyer points per dollar, and this card doesn’t include the airport lounge passes which we value at around $100 for 2.
What About Existing St George Customers?
Already a St George card holder or maybe you want to streamline things since you’re banking with Bank Of Melbourne? Great news, the same 90,000 bonus and 60,000 offer is available on these cards. The birthday bonus and lounge access is also part of the package. All the features of the Bank Of Melbourne cards are identical; the only difference is the branding. As an existing St George card holder you are now eligible for the St George Amplify Signature Visa but you are eligible for the offer from Bank Of Melbourne offers.
Amplify Signature Visa Conclusion
Although the earn rates of Visa are much lower compared to American Express, it’s the perfect companion card in my opinion. More often than not we’re faced with places that don’t accept Amex (This is changing for the better, Amex plans to double its acceptance rate within 2 years!) and for this reason it’s essential to have a great points earning Visa in your wallet. St George Signature Visa is certainly one of those.