It’s no secret that frequent flyer points are your ticket to flying in business or first class for the price of economy. It’s what we do at Flight Hacks, and we aim to inspire you to fly the same way!
It’s a longstanding myth that to earn frequent flyer points you need to fly a lot. This couldn’t be further from the truth!
These days the easiest and fastest way to earn those frequent flyer points is by taking advantage of the many frequent flyer credit card deals in the market. But which cards are the best value and will get you to the front of the plane faster?
We’ve compiled our top 4 card deals on right now which can earn you between 75,000 to 120,000 frequent flyer points. To put this in perspective, that’s more than enough points to take off in business and even first class!
American Express Velocity Platinum Card
For a limited time you could up to 100,000 bonus Velocity Points when you apply by 19 June 2019, are approved and meet the minimum spend criteria – that’s 25,000 points for each month you spend $1,000 in the first 4 months. This offer is available to new Card Members only.
- Up to 100,000 Velocity Points when you apply by 19 June 2019, are approved and meet the minimum spend criteria (25,000 points for each month you spend $1,000 in the first 4 months. This offer is available to new Card Members only.)
- Complimentary Virgin Australia domestic return flight after your first card spend each anniversary year.
- Frequent Flyer Points Earn Rate: Earn 1.25 Velocity Points per $1 spent, except government bodies where you will earn 0.5 Velocity Points per $1 spent
- Earn 1 additional Velocity Point per $1 spent on selected purchases with Virgin Australia
- 4 complimentary lounge passes each year: 2 Virgin Australia lounge passes (for use at selected airports), and 2 Amex Lounge passes for use in Sydney or Melbourne International Airport
- Complimentary domestic and international travel insurance when you pay for eligible travel on your card
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months — A one-off establishment fee of 1% applies
- 100 Velocity Status points when you spend minimum $50,000 within 1 membership year
ANZ Frequent Flyer Black
The ANZ Frequent Flyer Black comes with one of the biggest sign-up bonuses in the market. For a limited time, you will even get $200 back to your card which helps offset the annual fee. The card also comes with Qantas Club Lounge access passes which is fantastic.
Here are the benefits:
- 100,000 bonus Qantas Frequent Flyer Points when you spend $4,000 or more on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card approval
- 2 Qantas Club lounge access passes each year you hold the card
- $200 back to your new card
- Discounted Qantas Club membership for the first year
- Unlimited international lounge access through Véloce World
- Complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer membership, saving you $99.50
- 24/7 Concierge service to assist with bookings and reservations
- Earn 1 Qantas Frequent Flyer Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases, capped at $7,500 after which the earn rate reduces to 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent
NAB Qantas Rewards Signature
NAB Qantas Rewards Signature comes with a whopping 90,000 bonus Qantas points. In addition, the card now has a reduced annual fee for the first year which saves you $100.
Here are the benefits:
- 90,000 bonus Qantas Frequent Flyer Points when you spend a minimum of $4,000 on everyday purchases in the first 60 days of the account opening.
- Reduced annual card fee of $295 for the first year ($395 each year after that).
- Earn rate of up to 1 Qantas points per $1 spent (up to $5,000 per month) after which it reverts to 0.5 Qantas points per dollar spent (up to $20,000 per month).
- Seven complimentary insurances: Overseas Travel insurance, Transport Accident insurance, Interstate Flight Inconvenience insurance, Domestic Hotel Burglary insurance, Purchase Protection insurance, Extended Warranty insurance and Price Protection insurance. Read the PDS to see if these will cover your needs and to see details about eligibility and T&Cs.
- 0% p.a. on balance transfer for up to 6 months (2% balance transfer fee at the end of the balance transfer period, the balance transfer reverts to cash advance rate).
ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum
If the annual fee or minimum spend requirements are too high on the above cards, the ANZ Frequent Flyer Platinum is a great entry level frequent flyer card you should know about. Right now you can get $100 back to your card after meeting the minimum spend.
Here are the benefits:
- 50,000 bonus Qantas Frequent Flyer Points when you spend $2,000 or more on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of card approval.
- Earn Rate: 0.75 Qantas Point per $1 spent up to $3,000 per month after which the rate reduces to 0.5 Points per $1, uncapped.
- $100 back to your card after meeting minimum spend
- Annual fee of $295 or $195 for the first year when you factor in the $100 credit back to your card
- Minimum income: $35,000 p.a.
- ATO Earns Points: No
- Overseas Transaction Fee: 3% of the converted amount
- Minimum Credit Limit: $6,000
- Supplementary cardholders: up to 9 but a $65 annual charge applies per card
- Interest-free days: 55
Where can you go with these points?
Here are a few ideas on how you can spend your frequent flyer points! Note that these prices are for outright ticket redemptions in business or first class; this is when you get the best value compared to upgrading.