Amex Platinum Edge is one of my personal favourites in the market and has been for some years. The value for money and benefits from this piece of plastic are unmatched by others – even if you consider generous sign-up bonuses. It’s also my preferred way of earning a massive amount of reward points quickly outside of Qantas Frequent Flyer program.
The regular sign-up bonus Amex offers for this card is $200 travel credit, which is not huge compared to other offers out there, but considering the other perks attached with this card, it’s good as a companion to your Explorer or Platinum Card.
The everyday earn rate for this card is a standard $1 to 1 point, but where this card really shines is on supermarket (3 points for $1) and petrol spending (3 points for $1). The transfer partner list for American Express Platinum Edge is rather substantial, to say the least and includes some of our favourite programs which are Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Virgin Australia Velocity.
On top of all this, you get one $200 travel credit each year you hold the card which you are free to use on flights, hotels and car rental bookings through Amex Travel. This offsets the annual card fee of $195 making it essentially free to hold this card while benefiting from the most rewarding and flexible point program in Australia (Membership Rewards).
Current American Express Platinum Edge Offer:
- Free $200 travel credit each year you hold the card. This can be used on flights, hotels and car rentals through Amex Travel.
- $195 p.a. annual fee – This means you get $200 of travel credit each year for only $195!
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months, with a 1% establishment fee
- 3 Membership Rewards points earned per dollar spent at supermarkets and petrol stations, 2 points earned per dollar on overseas spend, and 1 point per dollar everywhere else.
- Travel and purchase protection insurances
Amex Membership Rewards Earn Rates:
- With the Platinum Edge Credit Card, you receive complimentary enrolment in the Membership Rewards Ascent program.
- Earn 3 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at major supermarkets and petrol stations
- Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent overseas
- Earn 1 Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on everything else, including utilities, telecommunications and government bodies in Australia.
- Redeem your points for flights with 9 leading airline partner programs, or online for Gift Cards or credit on your account
- Book any travel and pay with your points instantly online at Webjet
- Earn points faster by getting up to 4 Additional Cards for family members at no additional cost
- Turn your points into an experience with Ticketmaster. Simply book at www.ticketmaster.com.au and select ‘Membership Rewards’ as your payment option
American Express Membership Rewards – Card benefits
The American Express points program is called Membership Rewards (or MR) and gets you the best value for spend in the supermarket. For those dedicated enough this card can take you the extra mile if you max out those supermarket purchases.
How to maximise supermarket purchases:
Most supermarkets allow you to purchase vouchers for all their partner brands, this allows you to purchase all the gift cards you might need for the same 3 points on the dollar as opposed to the standard 1 to 1 when buying directly in store. This adds up quickly if you’re in the market for big-ticket items such as appliances, travel, petrol, etc.
The supermarkets eligible for bonus points with the American Express Platinum Edge are:
American Express Platinum Edge does not earn you Qantas Frequent Flyer points but MR points can be transferred to the following partners:
- Virgin Australia: Velocity Frequent Flyer
- Singapore Airlines: Kris Flyer (Star Alliance)
- Malaysia Airlines: Enrich
- Virgin Atlantic: Flying Club
- Cathay Pacific: Asia Miles
- Marriott: Bonvoy
- Air New Zealand: Air Points
- Etihad Airways: Etihad Guest
- Thai Airways: Royal Orchid Plus
- Emirates: Skywards
- Hilton: Hilton Honors
This gives you perfect flexibility when it comes to redeeming points for flights since you are not stuck with one single alliance or airline.
Airline Transfer Rates:
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Asia Mile
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Skyward Mile
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Etihad Guest Mile
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Enrich Mile
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Kris Flyer Mile
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Royal Orchid Plus Mile
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Velocity Point
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Flying Club Mile
- 200 Membership Rewards points = 1 Airpoints Dollar
Hotel Transfer Rates:
- 2 Membership Rewards points = 1 Hilton Honors point
- 3 Membership Rewards points = 2 Marriott Bonvoy points
Other Benefits Amex Platinum Edge Offers
- Overseas Medical Emergency Expenses Cover
- Travel Cancellation Cover
- Baggage, Money, and Documentation Cover
- Personal Liability Cover
- Travel Inconvenience Cover : This is a pretty standard list of benefits you’d find with most Platinum-style credit cards, and you should always check the terms and conditions before fully relying on these extras, especially when you travel.
To sign up with to the Amex Platinum Edge and receive the $200 travel credit, you can click here. You will be directed to the American Express website where you can apply for the card directly.
American Express Platinum Edge Lounge Access
The Amex Platinum Edge does not get you in the new American Express lounge in the Sydney or Melbourne International airports. To gain access you might have to look at some of the other cards on offer, such as the American Express Platinum Card, or the Amex Explorer Card.
This card is available to both exisiting and new card members who meet the following criteria:
- Minimum income: $50,000 p.a.
- Age: 18 years or over
- No history of bad debt or payment default
- Australian citizen or permanent resident or hold a current Business Long Stay Visa (subclass 457)
Amex Platinum Edge Conclusion
Although there are bigger sign up offers available, the Amex Platinum Edge makes a perfect companion if you already hold another Amex product which earns Membership Rewards. Considering most people spend a significant amount of money at the supermarket and on petrol, this card can really help boost your points balance.Read Our Financial Disclaimer…
No recommendation or financial advice
The Website contains information relating to credit cards with frequent flyer benefits. Information provided in respect of credit cards is ancillary to the purpose of informing you of the frequent flyer benefits and promotions. Flight Hacks publishes general information about selected credit and debit card products/offers. We do not write about all credit and debit card products/offers available in the market
Flight Hacks does not provide credit or financial advice, assist, or make recommendations in connection with credit or financial products or services. Flight Hacks is not a credit provider nor are we suggesting that you apply for a specific product from a particular product issuer.
You should not make credit or financial decisions based solely on the availability of frequent flyer benefits or promotions.
The content on the Website does not constitute advice. It has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is provided for your convenience and information only.
You should not act on any information provided by the Website or its advertisers without first having regard to your own objectives, financial situation and needs and obtaining advice from an appropriately qualified professional. The information on this website is no substitute for financial advice.
Flight Hacks may receive a commission when you apply for a credit or debit card using an outbound link published on this website.