Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer is one of my favourite Star Alliance programs due to its connections to Australia and the availability of reward flights. As an American Express partner, it’s very convenient for me to transfer miles and redeem flights in business and first.
That said, I’ve never really bothered with their Star Alliance Gold status since there are easier programs to achieve Gold with (Such as Aegean Miles+More).
However, due to a series of events, there’s now a “hack” that gives you 2 years of Singapore Airlines Star Alliance Gold without setting foot inside an aircraft.
Here are the key factors you need to know about that led to the 2 year free status promo becoming a thing — no doubt unintentional.
- Last year, Singapore Airlines announced a promo to let you earn status without flying. This status would be valid for 1 year if you transferred 250,000 KrisFlyer miles before February 28, 2022.
- This year, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer announced a status extension for everyone who earned their status up until (and including) February 2022. The extension is worth 1 year.
This means that if you waited up until now to transfer your American Express Membership Rewards Points in exchange for free Gold status, you’re in luck! In a perfect scenario, you would send your points on February 1, 2022, which would give you 1 year of KrisFlyer Elite Gold.
Come February 2023; your status will be renewed again for another year until February 2024. So while you can send your miles now, the most optimal time to push them across is February 1, 2022.
How many points?
You will need a total of 250,000 KrisFlyer miles to gain KrisFlyer Elite Gold status (which will get you retroactive benefits across the star alliance network.)
In Australia, there are multiple transfer partners you can utilise. Just keep in mind that the transfer rate won’t be 1:1, so you will need to factor in the following calculation based on who you have credit card rewards with:
- American Express Membership Rewards: 2 MR = 1 KF
- StGeorge Amplify: 2 Amplify = 1KF
- ANZ Rewards: 3 ANZ = 1KF
- Citi Rewards: 3 Citi = 1KF
- Westpac Altitude: 3 Altitude = 1KF
- NAB Rewards: 1 NAB Reward = 0.33 KF
- Citi Diners Club: 2 Diners = 1 KF
Do KrisFlyer Miles Expire?
Yes, they do! Singapore AirlinesKrisFlyer miles expire after 36 months from the month of their accrual, so keep this in mind before sending your points to KrisFlyer.
How To Get KrisFlyer Miles?
Right now, the best card offer to score a massive amount of KrisFlyer Miles is the American Express Platinum Card. From today until February 28, 2022, American Express is running the biggest promotion on the American Express Platinum Card.
You will receive a massive 250,000 bonus Membership Rewards points and get a $500 credit back when you apply, are approved by 28 February 2022 and spend $5,000 on your new Card within the first 3 months.
(T&Cs apply. New Card Members only.) Learn more about this deal here.