Marriott Bonvoy recently extended its elite status to members based on their 2019 activity in response to the COVID situation. This was a rather generous policy, but it looks like Marriott Bonvoy wants to go a step further. Yesterday Marriott announced they would be depositing elite status credits for eligible members towards the end of July to help them get to the next tier faster.
Considering everyone eligible has had their status extended, there is/was no incentive to stay loyal to the Marriott brand this year. The new promotion is designed to get people to start booking again and earn the next tier for a fraction of the regular requirements.
For example, if you’re already Platinum but have your eyes set on Titanium, you will now require 25 fewer nights to reach it.
In this post:
Marriott Bonvoy 50% Bonus Nights Credits
Every Marriott elite tier would be eligible for bonus elite credits IF you earned that status in 2019. The credits aren’t tied to the actual amount of nights you stayed, but rather the elite nights required to reach the tier that you have. This is fantastic news for those who did a Bonvoy Status Challenge to Platinum (which only requires 16 nights instead of 50!)
It’s also an interesting development for those who get free Gold status through their Amex Platinum credit card. This promo can essentially help you fast track Elite Platinum Status.
Additionally, those free nights will also count towards your Lifetime Elite status if that’s something you’re chasing!
Here’s how many elite night credits you can expect based on your tier:
- Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits
- Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need 62 Elite Night Credits and US$20,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2020 to achieve Ambassador Elite
- Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need 50 Elite Night Credits in 2020 to achieve Titanium Elite
- Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need 37 Elite Night Credits in 2020 to achieve Platinum Elite
- Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need 20 Elite Night Credits in 2020 to achieve Gold Elite
- Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need 10 Elite Night Credits in 2020 to achieve Silver Elite
Lowest Bonvoy Redemption Rates
Marriott is putting over 5,500 of its worldwide properties on off-peak redemption rates. This temporary rule applies to bookings made before June 30 and for stays up until July 31 (2020).
Marriott Hotels in Australia
In Australia there are 24 hotels in the Marriott portfolio (soon 26 with the opening of W Melbourne (cat 6) and The Luxury Collection (cat 7) in Hobart due this year), that’s plenty for a local staycation! Here’s the category breakdown and points requirements for one night.
Category 6 Marriott Brands In Australia:
Off-Peak price: 40,000 Bonvoy
Category 5 Marriott Brands In Australia:
Off-Peak price: 30,000 Bonvoy
- W Brisbane
- Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast
- Melbourne Marriott Hotel
- Sheraton Melbourne Hotel
- The Westin Melbourne
- Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
- Marriott Vacation Club at Surfers Paradise
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
- Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
- Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
- The Old Clare Hotel
- Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park
Category 4 Marriott Brands In Australia:
Off-Peak price: 20,000 Bonvoy
- Brisbane Marriott Hotel
- The Westin Brisbane
- The Westin Perth
- Four Points by Sheraton Sydney
Category 3 Marriott Brands In Australia:
Off-Peak price: 15,000 Bonvoy
- Four Points by Sheraton Brisbane
- Midnight Hotel, Autograph Collection
- Element Melbourne Richmond
- Four Points by Sheraton Melbourne
- Aloft Perth
- Four Points by Sheraton Perth
- Courtyard Sydney-North Ryde