Velocity Frequent Flyer is the loyalty program of Virgin Australia. While it is easy to earn thousands of Velocity Points, beginners might be left unsure of how to extract the most value from a growing Points balance.
Velocity members have access to significant value, world-class airlines and premium cabins when booking a Velocity Reward Seat.
This guide takes a look at the top five flight redemptions you can book using Velocity Points.
In this post:
- What Is A Reward Seat?
- Velocity Reward Seat vs Any Seat: What’s The Difference?
- Velocity Redemptions Onboard Airline Partners
- Top 5 Velocity Flight Redemptions You Can Book
- 1. Virgin Australia Domestic Business Class
- 2. Virgin Australia Business Class To An Island Escape
- 3. Singapore Airlines Business Class to Asia
- 4. Etihad Airways Business Class To Abu Dhabi
- 5. Qatar Airways Business Class to Europe
- How To Book A Velocity Reward Seat
- How To Join Velocity Frequent Flyer Free
- Velocity Card Offer:
What Is A Reward Seat?
Put simply, a reward seat lets you book flights using your frequent flyer Points, plus a small cash payment to cover any taxes and fees. For more see: https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/travel-info/flying-with-us/fare-types/velocity-reward-seat/
Velocity Reward Seat vs Any Seat: What’s The Difference?
Velocity Frequent Flyer offers members a choice between value and flexibility with two types of redemption seats on offer, Reward Seat and Any Seat (Any Seat awards are only available for airlines Virgin Australia has a codeshare agreement with). Both can be booked using Velocity Points, and when you board the plane and sit down you won’t notice any difference between the two. What separates these redemptions is the price you’ll pay, the ticket inclusions and the availability on each flight.
First up, and what we always recommend booking, is the Reward Seat. These are true reward seats and require a set number of Points per flight, based on the distance travelled. If you wanted to get from Sydney to London, the number of Points needed will be the same regardless of the date you select and would only differ on the routing and airline (e.g. Etihad with a stop in Abu Dhabi vs Singapore Airlines stopping in Singapore). Velocity Reward Seats are limited on each flight, and you will not earn Velocity Points or Status Credits for flying.
If you needed to catch a specific flight on a specific date and can’t find the Reward Seat you want, you might notice the option for an Any Seat redemption. These fares are calculated based on the current cash price and are much easier to find. On Any Seat bookings, you will earn Velocity Points and Status Credits.
In short: This might sound complicated if you’re just getting started with Velocity Frequent Flyer, but all you need to remember is that Reward Seats cost less but sell out fast while Any Seats are much easier to find but will cost more.
Velocity Redemptions Onboard Airline Partners
Velocity has partnerships with some fantastic international airlines that operate flights to destinations across the globe. This means Velocity members have the flexibility to book Velocity Reward Seats across a suite of worldwide destinations, aircraft and cabin classes.
Right now, members can cash in their Velocity Points for travel with eight airlines, in addition to Virgin Australia. Those partner airlines are:
- United Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- Singapore Airlines
- Etihad Airways
- Air Canada
- Hawaiian Airlines
- South African Airways
- Qatar Airways
Top 5 Velocity Flight Redemptions You Can Book
Now for the fun part! Here are our expert picks for the top five flight Velocity Reward Seats you can book using your Velocity Points.
1. Virgin Australia Domestic Business Class
If you frequently travel around Australia, why not upgrade your experience to Business Class and experience Virgin Australia’s fabulous onboard service and Lounge access at selected airports. Velocity Points will certainly get you there with availability often found across the network, plus great redemption value when compared to domestic alternatives. Domestic Business Class redemptions with Virgin Australia start at 15,500 Velocity Points, plus $31.99 in taxes, fees and carrier charges, for a one-way trip from Sydney to the Gold Coast.
- 15,500 Points (plus $34.39 in taxes, fees and carrier charges)*: Less than 600 miles (eg. Sydney to Melbourne)
- 23,500 Points (plus $36.09 in taxes, fees and carrier charges)*: 601 to 1,200 miles (eg. Sydney to Adelaide)
- 35,500 Points (plus $30.75 in taxes, fees and carrier charges)*: 1,201 to 2,400 miles (eg. Sydney to Perth)
2. Virgin Australia Business Class To An Island Escape
Enjoy Virgin Australia Business Class on a flight to an island paradise with direct flights now up and running to Fiji and Bali, with Samoa and Vanuatu now also online since March 2023. Travel onboard Virgin Australia’s comfortable B737-800 aircraft that is well suited to those shorter routes. The Virgin Australia service is always second-to-none, having just been awarded ‘Best Cabin Crew’ for a fifth time at the AirlineRatings.com Airline Excellence Awards. Here’s the one-way cost to or from your dream island getaway in Business class:
- Brisbane<->Vanuatu: 23,500 Velocity Points + plus $126.02 in taxes, fees and carrier charges*
- Sydney<->Fiji: 35,500 Velocity Points + plus $125.60 in taxes, fees and carrier charges *
- Melbourne<->Fiji: 49,500 Velocity Points + plus $120.76 in taxes, fees and carrier charges*
- Brisbane<->Samoa: 49,500 Velocity Points + plus $221.33 in taxes, fees and carrier charges*
- Melbourne <-> Hamilton Island: 35,500 Velocity Points + plus $82.69 in taxes, fees and carrier charges*
See reward seat t&c’s: https://experience.velocityfrequentflyer.com/member-support/terms-conditions
3. Singapore Airlines Business Class to Asia
One of my favourite uses of Velocity Points is for Business Class travel onboard Singapore Airlines. Everyone knows the Singapore Airlines experience is next level, and in Business, you can even pre-order your preferred meal before your flight.
The distance makes this a great Velocity sweet spot, plus, you can book the same deal for selected Southeast Asian destinations such as Koh Samui!
- One-way Business Rewards Seat from Melbourne to Bangkok: 71,000 Velocity Points + plus $382.87 in taxes and carrier charges*
4. Etihad Airways Business Class To Abu Dhabi
Enjoy the 14-hour journey to Abu Dhabi with Etihad Airways in Business Class. Dine whenever you choose from the excellent a la carte menu and enjoy an extensive drinks selection plus great inflight entertainment. The Gulf carrier operates daily flights into Melbourne and Sydney using Boeing 777 and 787 aircraft that are fitted with the excellent Etihad Business Studio seating.
- Sydney<->Abu Dhabi, one-way: 119,500 Velocity Points + plus $468.23 in taxes and carrier charges*
5. Qatar Airways Business Class to Europe
Enjoy the spectacular Qatar Airways Qsuite or their A380 with onboard bar in business class to Europe using your Velocity Frequent Flyer Points. Dine whenever you want and choose from the excellent a la carte menu and enjoy an extensive drinks selection plus great inflight entertainment. The Gulf carrier operates daily flights into Melbourne and Sydney using Boeing 777 and A380 aircraft that are fitted with the excellent Qsuite and reverse herringbone seating.
- One-way Business Rewards seat from Melbourne to Paris: 139,000 Velocity Points + plus $787.87 in taxes, fees and carrier charges*
How To Book A Velocity Reward Seat
- Step 1: Log in to your Velocity Frequent Flyer account
- Step 2: Search for your flights, making ‘use points’ is selected
- Step 3: Look for the ‘Velocity Reward Seat’ text showing on available flights
- Step 4: Select your flights and complete the booking
How To Join Velocity Frequent Flyer Free
Not yet a Velocity member? It’s free to join Velocity Frequent Flyer visit https://join.velocityfrequentflyer.com/ and complete the join form to get your account. You’ll need to provide basic information such as your name and date of birth, residential address, mobile phone and email details. You’ll need to set up a pin and password to log into your account after signup.
Velocity Card Offer:
Exclusive offer: Apply for the Amex Velocity Platinum Card and score up to 100,000 bonus Velocity Points + a complimentary domestic return flight with Virgin Australia! Get 75,000 points with a $3,000 spend in 3 months & 25,000 more points upon fee renewal! Don’t miss out – this deal is available only via American Express partners such as Flight Hacks! Offer ends June 1st. *T&Cs apply. New Card Members only.
To learn more visit: https://www.americanexpress.com/au/credit-cards/velocity-platinum-card/
This article is sponsored by American Express. Opinions expressed in this article solely belong to Flight Hacks.
Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express Australia Limited. Credit provided by American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085). Australian Credit Licence No. 291313. ®Registered Trademark of American Express Company.
American Express income and credit approval criteria applies. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Interest rates, fees and charges apply.
* The quoted redemption fare is correct as at 8 May 2023 and is subject to change. Fares are subject to availability. Points value is based on an international one-way Business Reward Seat fare with Virgin Australia or one of their partner airlines and must be booked through “https://experience.