Looking to earn some extra Virgin Velocity status credits this year? It’s now possible when you drop a cool $50,000 per annum on your American Express Velocity Platinum card. From today, Amex and Virgin will reward you with a generous 100 status credits which count towards getting to the next status level or retaining that hard earned Gold/Platinum (let’s face it, Silver doesn’t count)!
How to get 100 Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Points?
The $50,000 will need to be spent during your membership year which is calculated in a 365 day period. Keep in mind that any card fees incurred do not count towards your spend goal. On a daily basis that works out to about $137 which can be spent on anything and isn’t limited to Virgin Australia products.
On top of that, you will earn roughly 75,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer points on a 50k spend. Of course, this number is variable since certain categories earn more or less points per dollar (2.5 points per dollar on Virgin purchases and 0.5 points per dollar on government spending).
If you think this target is high, you’re right! But you can share the task with close family since Amex Velocity Platinum allows supplementary cardholders at no extra cost.
Right now the Amex Velocity Platinum card comes with 50,000 bonus Velocity points when you sign up. That’s in addition to a free Virgin Australia domestic return flight which offsets the annual fee of $375.
Here are the key Amex Platinum Velocity benefits :
Receive 50,000 bonus Velocity Points when you apply online, are approved and spend $1,500 on your new Card within the first 3 months. This offer is available to new Card Members, as well as bank-issued American Express companion cardholders.
- Complimentary Virgin Australia return domestic flight every year after your first Card spend each year.
- Earn 1.5 Velocity Points per $1 spent, except government bodies in Australia where you will earn 0.5 Velocity Points per $1 spent.
- Earn 1 additional Velocity Point per $1 spent with Virgin Australia.
- Enjoy 2 complimentary Virgin Australia lounge invitations each anniversary year at selected airports.
- Complimentary domestic and international travel insurance.
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 12 months (a one-off credit plan establishment fee of 1% applies). Learn more here.
- Receive 100 Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits, when you spend a minimum of $50,000 within your Card Membership year.
Use your points to travel in style on board Virgin Australia’s “The Business”
To earn Velocity Frequent Flyer Status here are some numbers you will need to reach:
- Silver: Requires 250 status points and 200 to retain it the following year.
- Gold: Requires 500 status points and 400 to retain it the following year.
- Platinum: Requires 1000 status points and 800 to retain it the following year.
For people chasing status, things get interesting at the Gold level where you would see yourself + 1 guest gain access to Virgin Australia lounges. In this case, it could make sense to strategically spend more on your Amex VA platinum card to achieve Gold/Platinum or retain it. If you’re trying to reach Silver with no real pathway to Gold, I would suggest not to bother since there really aren’t any valuable benefits to Silver status. To learn more about all the status benefits, have a look here: https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/Status/
Keep in mind that thanks to the partnership with flybuys, you’ll also earn Status Credits when you shop by using your linked flybuys card at Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland or First Choice Liquor. You’ll earn 1 Status Credit for every $100 spent on eligible purchases, up to a maximum of 10 Status Credits per month. Best of all, Velocity allows family pooling for points and status so earning Silver, Gold or Platinum can be a team effort.
Kickstart your Velocity Frequent Flyer balance now with 50,000 bonus points! Visit https://www.americanexpress.com/au/content/velocity-rewards-cards/velocity-platinum/ to learn more about this deal.