Why fly direct when you can connect? Breaking up your travel with a stopover is fantastic, and it’s usually how I plan my travel. What’s even better is a free stopover!
Etihad Airway has a stopover promotion which is available in ALL classes. Yup, that’s right, even economy travellers get two free nights at a selection of hotels in Abu Dhabi when they book a flight with Etihad before March 1, 2020, and travel before July 31, 2020.
On top of that, Etihad has also just launched a global sale so this is the perfect time to combine the 2 promotions for your next holiday.
There’s a range of offers available in both economy and business class, and the sale ends September 20th.
If you’re an Amex cardholder, you can also score an additional 10% discount. For more on how to get that discount, click here.
During the global sale, you can also earn double Etihad Guest miles. If you aren’t familiar with these or why they are valuable to Aussie travellers, check out my guide on how to use them for cheap Virgin Australia business class flights; yes that’s a thing!
If for some reason you aren’t an Etihad Guest members yet, Etihad is giving new members a 500-mile welcome bonus! Check out the details here.
Which Hotels Are On Offer?
There’s a pretty large selection of hotels on offer, and you can choose from the following:
- Premier Inn Abu Dhabi International Airport
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Abu Dhabi Yas Island
- Holiday Inn Abu Dhabi Downtown
- Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island
- Aloft Abu Dhabi
- Ramada Abu Dhabi Downtown
- Courtyard by Marriott WTC
- Dusit Thani Abu Dhabi
- Park Rotana Abu Dhabi
- InterContinental Abu Dhabi
- Le Meridien Abu Dhabi
- Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche
Which Hotels Are Best?
My choice would be for the following hotels:
Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche
I’m a big fan of the Sofitel brand, and since they are part of Accor, you can use any status you might already have to increase your benefits further here.
Radisson Blu Hotel, Abu Dhabi Yas Island
The Radisson is right on the beach so if you want to spend your stopover on the water; this might be worth considering!
InterContinental Abu Dhabi
Another beach option is the InterContinental hotel (part of IHG so you can earn nights towards your status!) if you’re an IC Ambassador you could use this benefit to score a 4pm checkout as well.
Etihad Stopover Terms & Conditions
Of course, there are some T&Cs you should be aware of before booking your flight!
- The “Free Stopover” is available to guests flying anywhere on the Etihad global or EAP network, transiting via Abu Dhabi. Minimum stay of 24 hours in Abu Dhabi applies.
- Valid for bookings paid and confirmed online only.
- Valid for tickets issued from 7 April 2019 – 1 March 2020 only.
- Valid for travel and hotel accommodation from 20 April 2019 to 31 July 2020, excluding blackout dates during major events and conferences. These include but are not limited to Eid Al Adha, World Energy Congress (WEC), ADIPEC, Formula 1TM (F1TM), Christmas, New Year and World Future Energy Summit (WFES).**Please check availability online at the time of booking**. All accommodation must be booked 96 hours in advance, based on the promotional sales period from 7 April 2019 – 1 March 2020. No hotel reservations will be permitted after this date, regardless of when the flight ticket was issued or actual travel date.
- Valid for bookings made in any fare choice within any class on Etihad Airways issued tickets starting with (607XXXXXXXXXX), including frequent flyer redemption bookings, award upgrades or cash plus miles promotions.
- Valid for adults travelling on one-way or return tickets, transiting through Abu Dhabi for more than 24 hours. The “Free Stopover” can only be used on one leg of the journey, via Abu Dhabi.
- Availability is subject to daily hotel allocation. All accommodation is subject to availability at the time of booking.
- The “Free Stopover” promotion is a voluntary promotion run by Etihad Airways and can be withdrawn at any time at the discretion of the airline(s).
- The stopover conditions of the applicable fare of your ticket will apply, including additional charges for adding a stopover plus any applicable taxes. Please read the terms and conditions on your ticket carefully.
- “Free Stopover” bookings are not eligible for upgrade to a higher class of room or suite.
- The lead person on the booking must be at least 21 years old.
- Hotel reservations can be made for up to two adults and one child (under 12 years old) or three adults on a room-only basis, subject to the hotel’s policy on maximum room occupancy.
- An extra bed will be provided for reservations with three adults only. A bed can be requested for children under 12, subject to availability, and must be paid directly to the hotel.
- To be eligible to share accommodation, travel companions must travel on the same flights (date and time) with the guests who are eligible to claim the free stopover. Bookings cannot be separated to redeem multiple free stopovers.
- For hotel bookings in Abu Dhabi, an additional fee of AED 10 per room per night applies. Guests must settle all additional fees directly with the hotel.
- Reservations made directly with a hotel do not qualify for the offer and cannot be amended by Etihad Airways without exception.
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion run by Etihad Airways or participating hotels. Hotel accommodation is subject to availability. Etihad Airways reserves the right to offer an alternative hotel(s). No liability will be accepted where flight bookings have been made and/or tickets issued if no hotel availability exists.
- All extra charges incurred during the stay (including breakfast, meals, laundry, room service and telephone) are the responsibility of the guest. These must be paid directly to the hotel. A credit card will be required upon check-in.
- Within the campaign period, changed or amended tickets will still be eligible for a free stopover as long as they include a minimum transit period in Abu Dhabi of 24 hours, regardless of the original ticket issue date.
- For hotels that offer24-hour check-in or check-out, guests will have access to their room for 24 hours from the time of check in.
Etihad Stopover Exclusions
- Offer is not available for guests whose final destination is the United Arab Emirates.
- Offer is not valid for guests starting their journey from the United Arab Emirates.
- Offer is not valid for unaccompanied minors or children travelling without an adult over 21 years of age.
- Offer is not valid on group bookings, staff tickets or travel industry-discounted tickets.
- Visas are not provided within this promotion. You can purchase a UAE Visa by visiting https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/fly-etihad/visas](https://www.etihad.com/en-ae/fly-etihad/visa
- No liability will be accepted where flight bookings have been made and/or tickets issued if no hotel availability exists.
- Offer is not valid in conjunction with any other promotional offers.
- Does not include airport transfers.
- Does not include hotel stay in Dubai or any other emirate in the United Arab Emirates.