1) Flying with Virgin Australia
One of the most obvious ways to earn Velocity points is by flying. For Virgin Australia Domestic, Trans-Tasman and International Short Haul fares you will earn 5 Points per $1 spent. For International long haul flights you will earn between 0.25 and 2 Velocity points per flight mile. Plus, Velocity Silver, Gold and Platinum members can earn a points bonus of 50%, 75% and 100% respectively.
2) Flying with Partner Airlines
You can earn Velocity points on eligible flights with one of Virgin Australia’s airline partners. Higher travel classes earn more points, plus Velocity Silver/Gold/Platinum members may receive bonus points if the flight has a VA flight number. You can earn Velocity points on the below airlines (find the earn rate for your fare class here).
Getting started with Velocity? Read our ultimate Velocity Frequent Flyer beginners guide!
- Delta Air Lines – from 0.5 to 2 points per mile flown
- Singapore Airlines – from 0.5 to 2 points per mile flown
- Silk Air – from 0.5 to 2 points per mile flown
- Virgin Atlantic – from 0.25 to 2 points per mile flown
- Hong Kong Airlines – from 0.1 to 2 points per mile flown
- Etihad Airways – from 0.25 to 4 points per mile flown
- South African Airways – from 0.25 to 2 points per mile flown
- Hawaiian Airlines – from 0.25 to 2.5 points per mile flown
- Capital Airlines – from 0.5 to 3 points per mile flown
- Hainan Airlines – from 0.5 to 3 points per mile flown
- Tianjin Airlines – from 0.5 to 3 points per mile flown
- Alitalia – from 0.25 to 2 points per mile flown
- FlyPelican – from 1 to 2 points per $1
3) Credit Cards
Signing up for and using a Velocity points earning credit card can earn you hundreds of thousands of Velocity Points. Most of the time your card will include a sign-up points bonus to kickstart your balance. Some cards even offer perks such as Virgin Australia gift cards and lounge access.
There are two types of credit cards that can earn you Velocity points. You can either get a Velocity co-brand card where points transfer directly to your Velocity account, or you can transfer rewards points from a partner bank.
Best Offers For Credit Card Bonuses:
- American Express Velocity Platinum – click here to check the current bonus offer
- ANZ Rewards Black – click here to check the current bonus offer
- ANZ Rewards Platinum — click here to check the current bonus offer
- American Express Explorer – click here to check the current bonus offer
- American Express Platinum Charge – click here to check the current bonus offer
- American Express Platinum Edge – click here to check the current bonus offer
4) Family Points Pooling
Family points pooling allows members to pool Velocity points and/or status credits with family members living at the same address. Up to two adults and four children under 18 are allowed, with points and/or status credits transferring automatically to the nominated account.
New to family pooling? Check out our Velocity Family Pooling Guide!
5) Direct Bookings with Hotel Partners
You can earn up to 3 Velocity points per $1 spent, or 600-1000 points for a stay at overseas properties, with Virgin Australia’s various hotel partners:
- Crown Hotels
- Hamilton Island
- TFE Hotels
- Accor Hotels
- Intercontinental Hotels Group
- Pan Pacific Hotels
- Staywell Group
- Langham Hospitality Group
- Next Hotels and Resorts
- Shangri-la Hotels and Resorts
- Voyages Ayers Rock Resort
- Virgin Limited Edition
- View Hotels
To earn Velocity Points for stays at the above hotels, simply add your membership number when booking or upon check-in.
6) Expedia Hotel Bookings
You can earn 3 Velocity points per $1 spent when booking a hotel stay through Velocity’s partnership with Expedia. Plus, bookings made until the 18th of February 2020 will earn a massive 9 points per $1 spent. You must book via this link to take advantage of this deal.
7) Transferring Flybuys Points
The Flybuys Velocity partnership allows you to exchange Flybuys points for Velocity points. Flybuys points are earned at participating retailers including Coles, Coles Express, Liquorland, Kmart and Target, plus online stores such as Ebay. Flybuys points can be transferred to Velocity in increments of 2,000 Flybuys points for 870 Velocity Points. However, bonus transfer rates are often available throughout the year, often around 15%.
8) Velocity eStore
You can earn Velocity points by shopping online with retailers such as Apple, Myer, eBay, Booktopia and more through the Velocity eStore. The earn rate will differ between stores, however generally speaking it is around 2 points per AU$1 spent. All you have to do to earn points on your purchase is login to the Velocity eStore and click through to your selected retailer (ensure your cookies are enabled).
9) Car Hire
You can earn Velocity points on car hire with Europcar, Hertz and Thrifty by simply booking through Velocity’s car hire page. The number of points you’ll earn depends on your Velocity status, as below:
|Europcar (AU/NZ)||4 pts/$||4.5 pts/$||5.25 pts/$||6 pts/$|
|Europcar (international)||800 points||1,200 points||1,400 points||1,600 points|
|Hertz (AU/NZ)||4||50% bonus||75% bonus||100% bonus|
|Hertz (international)||800 points||1,200 points||1,400 points||1,600 points|
|Thrifty||4||50% bonus||75% bonus||100% bonus|
10) Ola Rideshare
Velocity members will earn 2 Velocity Points for every $1 spent on Ola Airport Rides, and 1 Velocity Point for every $1 spent on all other Ola rides around Australia. Plus, elite status members receive bonus points at 50% for Silver, 75% for Gold and 100% for Platinum.
You can link your Velocity account in the Ola app by clicking on the menu and then on your name, then look for “Velocity Frequent Flyer account”. New to Ola? You can sign up and get $10 credit by using the promo code AR6C2VU when you book a ride.
11) Optus Mobile Plans
Velocity members can earn up to 30,000 Velocity points when they sign up to an eligible Optus plan and stay connected for 3 months. The top plan costs $79 per month and gets you 120GB of data, unlimited national talk and text national, unlimited international talk to 35 countries, Optus Sport and Apple Music for 12 months. You can view the plans and sign up here.
12) Velocity Global Wallet
Velocity Global Wallet is a prepaid travel card which allows cardholders to load and spend multiple currencies with locked-in currency exchange rates. You can earn 2 Velocity points per AU$1 (in the equivalent international currency) spent overseas and 1 Velocity point per AU$3 spent in Australia. Velocity Global Wallet supports the following 11 currencies:
- Australian dollars (AUD)
- US dollars (USD)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
- Euros (EUR)
- Hong Kong dollars (HKD)
- South African rand (ZAR)
- New Zealand dollars (NZD)
- Singapore dollars (SGD)
- British pounds (GBP)
- Thai baht (THB)
- Canadian dollars (CAD)